IP Address conflict - partners in trouble
Ever get that annoying bubble/email/phone call "windows - System Error" "There is an IP address conflict with another system on the network"
Finding the partner in crime
- static address used in dynamic range.
- one machine went to sleep and didn't release it's address.
- bad system administration, same static addresses assigned.
Why Microsoft would leave out the most important piece of information in an error message is just ...
- on the complaining windows host Start > control panel > admin tools(w7) > event viewer > Windows logs > system > filter for event 4199
- you now have the mac address of the host that is causing the conflict.
- Use your favorite networking tools to locate the partner in crime. (connect to the management interface on your switch or router and find the mac-address)