Mark J. Jakiela
Jolley Hall 304
Phone: +1 (314) 935-4966
FAX: +1 (314) 935-4014
Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
Campus Box 1185
St. Louis, MO 63130-4899
Mark J. Jakiela
Hunter Professor of Mechanical Design (Joined
- Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, University of Michigan, 1988
- M.S., Mechanical Engineering, University of Michigan, 1984
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, University of Michigan, 1983
- Associate Director, MIT Computer-Aided Design Lab
- MIT, Assistant Professor, July, 1988 - June, 1994
- MIT, Associate Professor, July, 1994 - July, 1996
- Automated Assembly
Analyses of automated/robotic and manual assembly processes. Design and redesign
to facilitate assembly. Studies of part feeding and orienting systems. High
volume and high speed assembly processes, including "mass aggregate assembly,"
in which quantities of mating parts are assembled in parallel using modified
parts presentation equipment.
Search and optimization techniques based upon natural evolution. Mechanical
engineering applications of genetic algorithms, a technique that encodes designs
with a chromosome representation and creates improved designs with a survival-of-the-fittest
- Jakiela, M. J., with Chapman, C., Duda, J., Adewuya, A., Saitou, K., "Continuum
Structural Topology Design with Genetic Algorithms," Invited submission
for a special issue on Evolutionary and Genetic Algorithms in Computational
Mechanics and Engineering, Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and
Engineering, 186 (2000) pps 339-356.
- Krishnasamy, J. Jakiela, M. J., "Resonance Induced Failure of Entrapment:
Application to Industrial Parts Feeding," International Journal of
Robotics Research, Vol. 19, No. 5, Sage Publications Inc., Thousand Oaks
California, May 2000.
- Saitou, K., Jakiela, M. J., "On Classes of One-Dimensional Self-Assembling
Automata," Complex Systems, Vol. 10, No. 6, pp. 391-416, December,
- Duda, J. W., Jakiela, M. J., "Generation and Classification of Structural
Topologies with Genetic Algorithm Speciation," (technical brief),ASME
Journal of Mechanical Design, Vol. 119, No. 1, pp. 127-131, March, 1997.
| MASE Faculty | MASE Home | SEAS
| WUSTL |